Compared to flowers or edibles, shatter is considered one of the most potent ways to consume cannabis. This almost glass-like concentrate was introduced into the market about 20 years ago by Canadian manufacturer, Budderking. Since then, this form of concentrate has become popular in the last 5 years or so.
If you have no idea what shatter is, it is a glass-like concentrate that ranges in colour from a lighter amber (big surprise) to a darker burnt golden or reddish-brown, depending on the exact strains and techniques used to create it. Shatter is made of very high levels of THC & THCA, meaning that its THC percentage is around 80%-90% compared with the average THC in flowers which is 15%-25%. “Start slow, go slow” is something to consider while having shatter.
Compared to other cannabis concentrates, such as hash or live resin, shatter contains lower terpenes and cannabinoids. The principal drawback of shatter and other BHO extracts is that terpenes do not survive the purification process. As a result, the finished product lacks the flavours and aromas we associate with weed, which could be a positive thing for many users.
How Shatter is Made
Shatter can be created from almost any cannabis material, from flower to trim. During production, the desired cannabinoids are separated from raw cannabis through a process that includes heat and compression. Following this, unwanted plant materials are removed using a solvent-induced vacuum purge.
From there, it’s filtered and cooled at shallow temperatures, flipped every so often, until it becomes glass-like, caramel-coloured perfection in large, thin sheets which are broken up into pieces… or shattered. It is essential to take into consideration that you must not even try producing shatter at home on your own without the proper equipment. It is suggested that only professionals are allowed to produce shatter for safety and health reasons.
How to Use Shatter
The best way to consume shatter is to dab. If you are unfamiliar with this term, Dabbing is a more intense form of consuming marijuana. It involves a person smoking hash oil burned with butane, resulting in nearly straight THC—and a very intense high. These cannabis extracts are referred to as dabs. Dabbing is not only considered one of the most potent ways of consuming cannabis but also, it also provides some benefits such as:
- It’s a healthier option than its smoking counterpart.
- It will help the marijuana hit your system more quickly
- Dabbing does not require the combustion of any plant material and typically is made up of cannabinoids and terpenes.
To help ensure you have a great first dab experience, we put together this article on how to dab like a hero to help teach you how to take a dab safely and in a fun way.
Top 3 Shatters You MUST Try This Summer
If you’ve never tried shatter before, we recommend you try some slowshutterly, then depending on how it goes, we recommend you try the following shatters:
- High Octane Shatter – Aira: This potent three-way cross is best known for its super heavy aroma and hard-hitting high that’s ideal for kicking back after a long and stressful day when you want to be lazy and relax.
- Sweet Skunk Shatter – Aira: This evenly balanced Hybrid was born from its Northern Lights and Skunk parents, and its effects hit fast and hard. Don’t be surprised if you suddenly feel so creative that you’re not sure what to do first, and if you can focus this feeling you’ll be in a beautiful flow state.
- MK Ultra Shatter – Aira: This popular Aira concentrate is widely used to treat mental and physical pains, including stress and anxiety reduction. MK Ultra’s high THC content of 72% and calming effect make it a go-to for those in search of relief for mild to chronic pains and strained nerves.
Like most cannabis, you will want to keep your shatter in a light-proof, air-tight container and store it in a cool place. However, storing your cannabis and extracts can significantly affect their flavour and potency. In addition, Dabbing is best done using a consistent, free from pesticides and trusted concentrate, which is why Bud Lab carries only the best shatter in Canada. Browse our wide selection of shatter and concentrates today, or reach out to us if you have any questions regarding dabbing or shatter in general!